7 Tech-Trendy Halloween Costume Ideas
Halloween is just around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about your costume! If you are on a budget or just looking for a unique idea, you might want to consider transforming yourself into one of the top tech stories of 2012.
As we all know, the best costumes are always relevant to popular social happenings of the time, so if you’re sporting a techy outfit this Halloween, you’re sure to be a hit! Remember the year when there was a surplus of Snooki costumes? How about the time everyone wore manliner and rocked the Captain Jack Sparrow look? This year, spice it up a little more by channeling your inner geek with one of these tech-trendy ideas:
1. Facebook IPO Flop - In order to portray yourself as the Facebook IPO flop, simply plaster the NASDAQ graph onto an old T-shirt and add Facebook’s logo above it. For an added effect, wear a Zuck-style hoodie.
2. Rich Kid of Instagram - We love to hate the Rich Kids of Instagram. They post lavish photos of themselves drinking the highest-quality champagne, lounging on yachts, and showing off their latest designer handbags. But if you’d love to be one of them this Halloween, just grab an old frame, spray-paint it gold, and carry around some fake, oversize designer items (unless you have the budget for the real thing). Warning: Don’t get into character too much and think you can cover the bill at dinner, or start ordering bottles of Bollinger at the bar.
3. iOS 6 Maps - Here’s what you do: One, buy a plain white T-shirt and white sweatpants. Two, look up directions to well-known places in your area. (For example, if you live in San Francisco, get directions from the AT&T Park to the Palace of Fine Arts.) Three, draw the directions on your shirt and pants. Now here’s the twist: Have the directions be completely wrong and draw a well-known monument flattened out.
4. 21st Century Ghost a.k.a SOPA Blackout - Being a Goth for Halloween is so passé. Add a new twist to the typical Goth costume and dress yourself in all black, carrying around a large sign that says, “SOPA Blackout.”
5. Be Your Own Kickstarter Campaign - This costume is potentially the most economical. Decide what you are raising money for that day and design your Kickstarter campaign on a whiteboard. Hang the whiteboard around your neck with a thick piece of string. You can update the campaign throughout the night based on how much money you have raised for your creative project. If you’re close to reaching your funding goal by the end of the night, you’ll be on your way to getting a hot dog from the stand outside the bar. Way to go!
6. Social Butterfly/Highlig.ht App - In order to transform yourself into a Highlig.ht app, simply get decked out in extremely bright colors. Throughout the night, walk up to people and tell them how you know them and what you have in common with them. “Hey, we have a mutual friend. You used to work with my cousin’s ex-girlfriend’s older brother! Small world, right?” This is an excellent way to unleash all of your hard hours of Facebook stalking. Plus, you never know who you might meet!
7. Obsessed Pinterest User - For this costume, cut out a bunch of pieces of paper in the shape of pins. Bring a roll of tape with you for the night, and whenever you see a costume you love, go up to the person and tape a pin to them. Be sure to explain that you are “repinning” their costume for next year. You may also want to dress like a bride to be while doing this because, let’s face it, they are Pinterest’s most loyal users. So grab your bachelorette party sash and get pinning!
Now that you have seven costume ideas, start getting to work! Do you have any other tech-trendy costume ideas? Share them with us!